We fight for the respect and dignity of some of the most hard-working people in this country who are on the frontlines of taking care of some of the most vulnerable citizens.
We are looking for talented and creative individuals to fill research, organizing and lead organizing positions across the state of California.
Communications Manager – Los Angeles, CA
Los Angeles, California
The Communications Manager plays a critical role in the fast-paced Communications team of SEIU Local 2015. Working closely with the team and other SEIU Local 2015 staff, the Communications Manager will help coordinate and execute a proactive earned media plan statewide and in target markets, this includes executing an ethnic media strategic outreach plan in partnership with other key stakeholders; write, edit, revise, and disseminate opinion and editorial pieces, talking points, speeches and press releases; and help develop other promotional and digital media content. The primary goals of the Communications Manager are to help increase SEIU Local 2015’s media output, reach and effectiveness in working with reporters, bloggers, columnists and other opinion leaders and influencers. Additionally, the Communications Manager will work closely with all Communications Specialists to oversee projects and organize strategic brainstorming discussions as needed.
The Communications Manager must help promote innovation and creativity among staff and create tools and systems that foster that. This person will also work with managers from other departments to help lead on priority campaigns and projects as assigned. The ideal candidate will have project management skills, exceptional writing, speaking, and organizational skills, excellent judgement, knowledge of and familiarity with media outreach and the overall media industry, understanding of communications technology trends, be a strategic forward thinker, innovative, and creative. The ideal candidate will lead with emotional competency, strive for excellence, be a team player, be intellectually curious and results driven. The ideal candidate will also have a dedication and passion for worker justice, social justice, and a vision to empower our members and their communities. This position reports directly to the Communications Director.
- Manage and oversee major projects
- Draft, edit and place op-eds, blog posts and other communications materials
- Write and edit talking points and messaging
- Develop content for a variety of platforms, channels and audiences
- Pitch stories, secure media coverage
- Field media requests in a timely manner
- Help with all rapid response efforts as required
- Assist in the development of editorial board strategies
- Contributing to SEIU Local 2015’s public-facing content, including newsletters, op-eds, email marketing efforts, etc.
- Assisting in drafting and copy editing of web content and printed materials
- Assisting with conceptualizing videos and other creative communications strategies
- Work closely with Graphic Designer, Videographer, Photographer, Social Media Specialists, and Media Relations Specialists.
- Filing and organizing visual assets on server
- Managing consultant contracts
Experience and Qualifications:
- Undergraduate degree in communications, journalism, marketing or public policy-related major preferred
- Three to five years of professional experience in at least one of the following areas: media relations, public relations, advocacy/grassroots advocacy communications, political campaign communications, and management experience.
- Must like operating in an intense, fast-paced and deadline-oriented communications environment
- Must possess excellent writing skills, strong oral communication skills, solid organizational skills and sound political instincts
- Ability to present information concisely and effectively, both verbally and in writing in various formats and for different channels, platforms, and audiences.
- Familiarity with using and creating video preferred
- Strategic thinker, ability to problem-solve and generate ideas
- Ability to connect with people who have diverse perspectives
- Manage multiple projects concurrently, prioritizing work effectively and delivering on deadline
- Ability to maintain flexibility and work both independently or collaboratively, as required
The Communications Manager is expected to embrace, promote and demonstrate the organizations’ core values – Excellence, Diversity, Accountability, Transparency, and Empowerment, such as:
- High ethical standards
- Train, develop, nurture and mentor members
- Encourage team work and participation by staff and members
- Ensure outstanding representation of the organization to internal and external allies and constituents.
Work is generally performed in an office setting. However, duties and function may require performing work in the field with members and outside constituents. Some irregular hours required. Intermittent travel may be required.
Scope and Nature of Supervision: Communications Manager will report to Communications Director or other project supervisors as assigned. Communications Manager is expected to operate without day-to-day supervision, to develop their own work plans and goals, and to act with a degree of discretion and independent judgment. Accordingly, they must be strong self-starters and have a commitment to fulfill the objectives of the organization.
To apply for this position e-mail detailed resume, cover letter, and a one-page writing sample and the name, job title, address, and phone number of three professional references to email@example.com. In subject of email include: Title of Position you are applying for.