Legislative Analyst, Sacramento, California
This position is responsible for providing highly skilled strategic analysis of public policy trends in support of organizational goals and representing Local 2015 with external constituencies to promulgate and build support for Local 2015’s policy agenda.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Track federal, state and local legislative and regulatory activity related to long-term care and Local 2015’s justice agenda, and identify bills affecting interests of union members.
- Assist in the strategy, development and execution of Local 2015 member driven campaigns that advance the Union’s agenda.
- Analyze current and proposed state legislation affecting long-term care and assist in developing the best means to assure the adoption of legislation that would move the union’s justice agenda forward.
- Work with Policy Director and others to strategize and implement efforts to secure stable funding for, and access to, long-term care.
- Track developments in federal, state, and local long-term care policy in order to provide expertise to union leaders, members, and staff.
- Develop and maintain close relationships with elected officials, and key staff, committee personnel, and important department and agency staff in order to maintain open lines of communications that will allow for opportunities to present the Union’s views of existing law or proposed legislation.
- Coordinates multi-departmental or multi-constituent projects. Oversees staff efforts and exercises large degree of independent judgment.
- Position may require some public testimony to advance the union’s position on policy proposals.
- Represent Local 2015 in coalitions, with allies and amongst stakeholder groups, in public forums internally and externally.
- Draft legislation, letters, testimony, policy briefs, position statements and lobbying points, for both internal and external use, in support of union’s goals and policies.
- Other responsibilities as needed and appropriate.
- Ability to lead and complete work with a strong sense of autonomy and independent judgment.
- Excellent analytical skills and communication skills (written and oral).
- Knowledge of, and/or willingness to develop expertise in, all forms of long term care with an emphasis on In-Home Support Services (IHSS) and nursing homes.
- Experience with state politics and policymaking, including at least two (2) years working as a legislative staffer, lobbyist, or in a similar capacity.
- Thorough knowledge of issue development in a political context preferred.
- The ability to work with people from other cultures and backgrounds.
- Background in and/or knowledge of and interest in being part of labor movement.
- BA required. Advanced degree preferred.
Long and extended hours and travel is required. Work may be performed in an office setting and/or out in the field with members and external constituents.
Salary and Benefits:
- Competitive salary offered based on experience and qualifications.
- Full benefits package including employer-paid medical, dental, life and vision coverage for employees and their eligible dependents and a pension plan.
To Apply for this Position:
E-mail, fax or mail a cover letter, detailed resume and short writing sample to:
SEIU Local 2015
c/o Human Resources
2910 Beverly Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90057
Please indicate in your cover letter the position and location of your interest. This position will remain open until filled.
Affirmative Action Employer:
SEIU Local 2015 is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to recruiting and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.