Member Action Center Organizer (Bargaining Unit) – Los Angeles
We fight for the respect and dignity of some of the most hard – working people in this country who are on the frontlines of taking care of some of the most vulnerable citizens. We are looking for talented and creative individuals to fill open positions across the state of California.
SEIU Local 2015 is California’s leading long term care organization dedicated to providing and protecting quality care for some of our most vulnerable residents. SEIU Local 2015 represents 180,000 in-home care providers and nursing home workers throughout California, making it the largest union of long term caregivers in California and the second largest SEIU Local in the nation. Geographically, we live and work in fourteen different counties and we speak over nine languages. The Organizer works in the Member Action Center (MAC) as part of the day- to- day operations of an in-bound call center providing services primarily but not limited to union members. The MAC works closely with union officers, management staff, and staff of other departments and members to communicate with union members about union programs, work-related concerns, and to provide assistance with benefits and training programs available through the California Long Term Care Education Center.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Representative ’s primary responsibility is to help workers form, build, and grow our union by answering calls that come into the MA C, and providing assistance to union-represented long-term care workers. The MAO duties and responsibilities listed below are representative of the position:
- Help form, build and grow our union through interaction with our membership.
- Engage callers regarding topics pertinent to them as long term care workers including updates on politics, public policy, and other member issues.
- Documentation of calls using MAC computer systems.
- Problem solving and providing resources for workers via phone or mail.
- Answer questions about union contract or on-the-job rights: assistance filing a grievance/requests and/or referral to the staff team which handle collective bargaining and employer relations for Nursing Home phone calls.
- Answer questions about union participation, including membership status/dues.
- Answer questions on employment benefits, assistance enrolling for healthcare benefits.
- Assist workers in registering for training courses and with questions relating to the California Long-term Care Education Center.
- Encourage member participation in union activities, including civic engagement (of members) such as voter registration, get-out-the-vote and grassroots political advocacy, membership and COPE sign up.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Fluency (written and spoken) in English and at least one additional needed language.
- Answer inbound calls and/or place outbound calls using computer based phone system, and speaking through a head set or phone handset, may include answer, disconnect, place on hold, conference with another call, make “help desk” call
- Follow call flow script to gather information on caller and answer questions appropriately.
- Review, update and create new notes by typing in computer databases.
- Create follow up work orders (escalations, mail requests, etc.) as needed. This is done using online forms.
- Use customer service skills and techniques to resolve caller complaints and concerns
- Use Standard Operating Procedures for a variety of activities including but not limited to: class registration, verification of eligibility for health insurance benefits, first level investigation of member complaints and/or discipline, using Language Line translation service, etc.
The MAO is expected to embrace, promote and demonstrate the organizations’ core values – Excellence, Diversity, Accountability, Transparency, Empowerment — , which include but are not limited to:
- High ethical standards.
- Train, develop, nurture and mentor members.
- Encourage team work and participation by staff and members.
- Ensure outstanding representation of the organization to internal and external allies and constituents.
Scope and Nature of Supervision:
- The MAO reports directly to the MAC Director or designee.
To apply for one of these positions:
E-mail or fax a detailed resume, cover letter, a one-page writing sample and the name, job title, address, and phone number of three professional references.
In subject of email: Position Title of Position you are applying for.
Fax: (213) 368-0699
Attn: Human Resources