Location: Flexible to Northern or Southern California
The Organizing Director oversees the local’s work related to external organizing activities. As part of the senior staff body, the Director collaborates in the overall development and implementation of the strategic organizing plan for SEIU Local 2015.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Directs External Organizers in developing and executing the strategic organizing plan for the local including the design and implementation of leadership identification, recruitment, development, and training.
- The Organizing Director oversees and directs the work of all organizing staff, including the development and training of Organizing Committee members.
- Develops organizing campaigns for unrepresented facilities and sectors of workers and works closely with other Local 2015 department Directors, International Union Division Director, and SEIU local union Organizing Directors when needed to ensure that the targets are aligned with SEIU and local union priorities.
- Develops uniform standards for review and evaluation of campaigns.
- Develops overall industry strategies and action-based campaigns that are industry specific and union-wide on issues that engage workers and members, that are opportunities to build the organization and that are aligned with industry and national objectives within SEIU.
- Ensures the tracking, reporting and analysis on all campaigns in her/his purview.
- Ensures the handling of elections are consistent with Local 2015
- Acts as a spokesperson with allied organizations in the fight for better conditions in the industries, service groups, client advocates, community groups, and resident and family councils.
- Collaborates with Political Director to develop and coordinate legislative activity with respect to new industry targets
- Provides direction, staff development and disciplinary action (if needed) to staff in his/her Department
- Develops recommended budgets, allocates resources effectively and plans and implements program activities as appropriate.
- Coordinates with internal Member Strength Directors to conduct surveys, job audits, investigation and related activities to and in development of Union policies, bargaining positions and development of effective representation programs consistent with internal industry standards and goals.
- Testifies as expert witness before various agencies
- Evaluates and initiates requests for ULP’s and other third party proceedings.
- A minimum of five to seven years of experience leading large teams of organizing staff/members and demonstrated experience in developing and successfully executing large scale organizing campaigns. .
- In depth knowledge of relevant special body of knowledge including labor law like NLRA, MMBA, FLSA, Cal OSHA, FMLA, Title 22, ADA, Workers Compensation, etc.
- Knowledge of workers, the workplace, labor, and political issues
- Excellent interpersonal skills as demonstrated by the ability to relate, establish and cultivate respectful relationships with people from diverse backgrounds
- Working knowledge of computer programs including Word, e-mail, accessing the Internet, and databases
- Previous staff supervisory experience
- The Director is required to work long and varying hours including weekends, nights and holidays. Driving long distances for extended periods of time is also required. Travel both statewide and out of state with overnights and periods away from home may be required.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, reliable use of car for work, and required automobile insurance
Salary and Benefits:
- Competitive salary offered based on experience and qualifications.
- Full benefits package including employer-paid medical, dental, life and vision coverage for employees and their eligible dependents and a pension plan.
- Car allowance, cellular phone and laptop.
To Apply for this Position:
E-mail, fax or mail a cover letter, detailed resume and short writing sample to:
SEIU Local 2015
c/o Human Resources
2910 Beverly Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90057
Please indicate in your cover letter the position and location of your interest. This position will remain open until filled.
Affirmative Action Employer:
SEIU Local 2015 is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to recruiting and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.