Senior Organizer | Northern California
Location: Northern California (The Shasta Cascade)
SEIU Local 2015 is California’s Long Term Care workers organization that will unleash the collective power of long term care workers, their families, and their communities, harness the power of technology, and build a broad movement to disrupt the unjust status quo in order to bring lasting transformational change towards a more just society for all.
SEIU Local 2015 represents 372,000 home care providers, nursing home workers and assisted living center workers throughout California, making it the largest union of long term care givers in California and the second largest SEIU local in the nation. For more information please visit, http://seiu2015.org
Organizers help workers form, build, and grow our union; assist workers to negotiate and enforce their union contracts; mobilize workers around work-site issues, politics, public policy, and other issues affecting the lives of workers; develop rank-and-file leadership among workers; and carry out all other programs of the union in the field.
The role of the Senior Organizer is to provide leadership, direction and development to Internal or External Organizing staff as it relates to carrying out the vision, goals and respective campaigns of the union.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Train and assist staff in identifying, recruiting, developing, and partnering with leaders to successfully implement the mission, goals and work of the union
- Coordinate, supervise and lead teams of staff and members in developing and implementing industry vision, programs, and campaigns
- Challenge staff and assist to embrace change in all aspects of their work
- Help develop and direct campaigns to resolve workplace issues.
- Assist staff/lead contract negotiations, campaigns and strikes
- Guide integration of politics, community relationships and organizing support into the daily work of staff
- Participate in and/or lead new organizing and political campaigns as needed
- Train, develop and hold staff accountable in all aspects of their work including the execution of disciplinary measures
- Evaluate staff; develop and implement staff development plans
- Cover for vacation and trouble shoot on particularly difficult staff assignments
- As part of supervisory team, contribute to organizational vision and manage the local’s strategic plans and campaigns
- Plan and run comprehensive organizing and contract campaigns, as assigned
- Other duties as assigned
- Willingness and ability to work long, irregular hours, including weekends
- Bilingual skills preferred
- 4+ years of experience in union or community organizing and representation leading a team of at least two or more staff.
- Proven ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license, auto insurance that covers business driving, and an automobile for business use.
Salary and Benefits:
- Competitive salary offered based on experience and qualifications.
- Full benefits package including employer-paid medical, dental, life and vision coverage for employees and their eligible dependents and a pension plan.
- Car allowance, cellular phone and laptop.
To Apply for this Position:
E-mail, fax or mail a cover letter, detailed resume and short writing sample to:
SEIU Local 2015
c/o Human Resources
2910 Beverly Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90057
Please indicate in your cover letter the position and location of your interest. This position will remain open until filled.
Affirmative Action Employer:
SEIU Local 2015 is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to recruiting and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.