Special Assistant to the President
Location: Los Angeles, CA
SEIU Local 2015 is California’s Long Term Care workers organization that will unleash the collective power of long term care workers, their families, and their communities, harness the power of technology, and build a broad movement to disrupt the unjust status quo in order to bring lasting transformational change towards a more just society for all.
SEIU Local 2015 represents 372,000 home-care providers, nursing home workers and assisted living center workers throughout California, making it the largest union of long term care givers in California and the second largest SEIU local in the nation. For more information please visit, http://seiu2015.org
SEIU Local 2015 is seeking a Special Assistant to the President for a broad and complex set of assignments related to the duties of the Union President. This position reports to the President of the Union and oversees all the President’s activities in a manner that reflects the President’s priorities and the Union’s mission, goals and values. This position shares the commitment to providing the highest level of responsiveness to a variety of Union stake holders; maintaining an overall standard of excellence for the staff in the Office of the President and for managing the personnel and other operations of the office; and performing other related duties as assigned.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Serves as a point of contact in the executive office for both external visitors/calls and internal staff.
- Manages multiple projects/tasks at once without losing sight of priorities.
- Act at liaison between President and elected officials, employers, organization leaders and other key stakeholders.
- Oversee multiple Union-wide schedules and determine appropriate resolution of conflicting schedules.
- Handle sensitive issues that require confidentiality.
- Coordinate President’s initiatives, committees, and special assignments.
- Plan and assist in the preparation of agendas and materials for meetings/presentations held by the President with officers, key staff, members and employers.
- Ability to produce sound and accurate memos, letters, executive presentations, and complex spreadsheets, while meeting strict deadlines for completion.
- Anticipate problems, critical issues, and opportunities as they arise and advise the President accordingly.
- Responsible for leadership of the employees within its department.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
This job requires the employee to lift at least 15 pounds infrequently.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected.
Required Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Five or more years of experience in a political, union or issues driven environment.
- Supervisory experience
- Extremely high level of organization
- Professional manner and skill level
- Excellent judgment
- High level of proficiency in MS Office
- Ability to work with and get along with diverse staff throughout Union
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, along with the ability to communicate both verbally and in writing with all levels of the organization, both in and outside the Union
- Ability to respond to changing priorities and crisis situations
- Ability to manage multiple projects with multiple priorities through to completion
- Proven problem-solving skills, especially where discretionary judgment is required
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Ability to exercise discretion, confidentiality and judgment in dealing with sensitive issues
- Understanding of and commitment to improving the lives of working people
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Willingness to work additional hours to ensure tasks are completed on time
- Ability to function under pressure with multiple supervisors
- Ability to meet strict deadlines
Salary and Benefits:
- Competitive salary offered based on experience and qualifications.
- Full benefits package including employer-paid medical, dental, life and vision coverage for employees and their eligible dependents and a pension plan.
To Apply for this Position:
E-mail, fax or mail a cover letter, detailed resume and short writing sample to:
SEIU Local 2015
c/o Human Resources
2910 Beverly Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90057
Please indicate in your cover letter the position and location of your interest. This position will remain open until filled.
Affirmative Action Employer:
SEIU Local 2015 is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to recruiting and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.